Renia – Cork Filler: Bottom Filler Paste for welted shoes and many other applications in leatherwork.
Even though high-quality, welted shoes are not as common as they once were: They are still in demand and being made, by a shoemaker or a factory, bespoke or in series, sometimes as custom orthopedic shoes.
Renia has been producing a cork bottom filler for industrial manufacturers of such shoes since 2018, and we are now making it available for our trade customers as well.
The applications range from the classic shoe bottom filling (in production or repair) to using it as a filler in hollow synthetic soles (using Syntic-TOTAL/Rehagol as a primer if necessary), up to leather crafting techniques like plug embossing.
Bottom filling (welted shoes):
- Coat shoe bottom with Renia – Gummiloesung (Rubber Cement) and let it dry.
- Then apply a sufficient amount of Renia – Cork Filler and smoothen/shape it. Leave it to dry at least overnight, or for 24 hours if possible.
- Then continue work as desired (sand, apply outsole).
Repairing welted shoes:
Remove as much of old cork filler as is necessary, then work as described above.
Filling hollow synthetic soles/heels:
Halogenate shoe bottom or heel if necessary (TR), coat with Renia – Syntic-TOTAL, and let it dry. Then apply sufficient amount of cork filler in hollow spaces and smoothen/shape as desired. Leave to dry overnight or for 24 hours if possible. Apply second coat of Cork Filler depending on volume and shrinkage of first layer, and leave to dry as well. Then sand and continue work as normal.
- Can be used just like the "putty" mixed from leather dust and Rubber Cement, but is ready for use right out of the can.
- Apply Renia – Gummiloesung (Rubber Cement) to the pre-shaped leather and let the cement dry.
- Then apply sufficient amount of Renia - Cork Filler and smoothen/shape as desired.
- If layer is thinner than 1 cm (3/8"), the work can continue almost immediately. Let layers thicker than 1 cm (3/8") dry for 24 hours, or 48 hours for layers thicker than 2 cm (6/8").
The new product is available as follows:
Renia – Cork Filler, 225 g tin (8 oz)
Renia – Cork Filler, 450 g tin (16 oz)
Renia – Cork Filler, 2 kg pail (1.3 Gal)
Renia – Cork Filler, 15 kg pail (9.8 Gal)
Shipping cost will need the addition of Dangerous Goods transport fees added.
The fixed shipping rate will be confirmed and actual cost of shipment bill be invoiced or refunded.
If you have a Purolator account I can use your shipping label.